This mouth-watering easy winter soup recipe is chock full of sweet potato puree and caramelized onions. It’s a healthy dinner idea for a cold winter night! Vegetarian too!
I like to cook plenty of winter soups, whether in my crockpot or simmering on the back burner. Usually I make my winter soups on a Sunday and serve as a Sunday dinner.
Most times I always cook a big batch of soup to give away to my daughters. Check out all of my crockpot soup recipes!
I try to cook the best soup recipes for the freezer. That way, there’s always an easy meal available that can be served with a fresh loaf of homemade bread that I bake, such as my Onion Dilly Bread, or make in my breadmaker, such as my favorite Irish Soda Bread.
Easy clean up in the kitchen with Handmade Dish Cloths from Moomettes Crochet !
Carrot Sweet Potato Soup
Sweet Potato Soup with Balsamic Caramelized Onions
This mouth-watering easy winter soup recipe is chock full of sweet potato puree and caramelized onions. It's a healthy dinner idea for a cold winter night! Vegetarian too!
- 4-5 Sweet Potatoes or Yams, peeled and cubed
- 1 lb. Bacon - cup up small and fried in separate pan
- 2-3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 6 c. Emeril's Organic Chicken stock or Vegetable stock
- 1/2 stick Cabot Butter
- 2 c. Milk
- 1 c. onions, caramelized
- Sherry, Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook sweet potatoes/yams in chicken broth and add carrots, celery and fried bacon with the grease to the soup. The flavor of the bacon is in the bacon grease.
- Add butter and cook about one (1) hour.
- Carefully puree the soup with the milk, a little at a time, in a food processor .
- After blending all the soup, add sherry, salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish the soup with balsamic caramelized Spanish onions for added taste and texture.
Omit bacon, and use Vegetable stock for a vegetarian soup.
© Frugal New England Kitchen