Make lunchtime interesting with this Puffed Pastry Pesto Sandwiches recipe! Puffed pastry will add a different dimension to boring sandwiches whether for an easy and quick lunch for the family or cut in half as an appetizer for casual entertaining and wine tasting party!
You can find roasted red bell peppers in the pickle section at your local grocery store. Be sure to drain them well on paper towel before placing them on the bread. Slices of Swiss cheese can also be added for a special treat.
Puffed Pastry Pesto Ham Sandwiches
Puffed Pesto Ham Sandwiches
Ham, Puffed Pastry, Sandwiches, Appetizer, Brunch, Lunch
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 T sesame seed
- 1/4 c. refrigerated basil pesto
- 1 c. roasted red bell peppers, drained and cut into strips
- ½ lb. deli ham, thinly sliced
- Thaw the sheet of pastry at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Place the oven temperature to 400 degrees and allow the oven to heat while the pastry thaws.
- Unfold the pastry sheet and brush the top with the egg.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds evenly over the pastry.
- Cut the pastry into thirds along the fold lines.
- Cut each third into 8 rectangle pieces about 3 inches long and 1 inch wide.
- Place the cut pastry onto an ungreased cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake 15 minutes or until puffed and a light golden brown.
- Remove and allow the pastry to cool on a wire rack at least 15 minutes.
- Cut each rectangle piece of pastry in half horizontally.
- Spread each piece of pastry with the pesto on the cut side.
- Lay the bell pepper strips on to the pesto.
- Top with 2 to 3 slices of deli ham.
- Place the tops on the hamwiches and enjoy.
© Frugal New England Kitchen
photo credit: stu_spivack