This wonderful Homemade Dill Seed Onion Bread recipe was always my favorite as a child ! My mom would make it all of the time.
The aroma of the herbs waifs through the entire house as the bread is baking! Spread some unsalted or whipped butter on it and enjoy! A New England favorite! You can also freeze a few loaves of bread for guests.
Easy cleanup with these Handmade Kitchen Dish Cloths from Moomettes Crochet !
Homemade Dill Seed Onion Bread Recipe
Old Fashioned Dill Seed Onion Bread
Dill Bread, Dilly Bread, Dill Seed Bread, Yeast Bread
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup creamed cottage cheese, heated to luke-warm
- 2 tbl sugar
- 1 tbl instant minced onion
- 1 tbl butter
- 2 tsp dill seed
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 unbeaten egg
- 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 cup flour
- Soften yeast in water.
- Combine in mixing bowl cottage cheese, sugar, onion, butter, dill seed, salt, soda, egg and softened yeast.
- Add flour to form a stiff dough, beating well after each addition. Cover.
- Let rise in warm place 85 to 90f. until light and double in size, about 50 to 60 min. Stir down dough.
- Turn into well-greased 8 in. round 1-1/2 or 2 quart casserole dish, or bread loaf pan
- Let rise in warm place until light, 30 to 40 minutes
- Bake at 350 for 40 to 50 minutes until golden brown.
- Brush with soft butter and sprinkle with salt
© Frugal New England Kitchen
photo credit: turtlemom4bacon