Here’s a family favorite easy and quick pasta casserole recipe for a weeknight using ham steak, canned stewed tomatoes and spaghetti. It’s pretty inexpensive to make, and I like to keep the canned ingredients on-hand for a hurry-up dinner .
Easy Quick Night Supper
Ham and Spaghetti Casserole
My mother-in-law was Irish and never cooked spaghetti and meat sauce. If my husband and his siblings wanted Italian pasta, they had to order it out! This is my mother-in-law’s version of pasta that we fondly refer to as “Irish Spaghetti Casserole.” It works well using either leftover ham and then use the ham bone to make pea soup! You can also use canned ham or a ham steak in this casserole recipe.
It’s even easier to make if you do OAMC freezer cooking. I’ve been putting up quite a few make-ahead freezer mixes to simplify mealtime preparation. Here’s one of the ham meal starter mixes that I put together using a freezer recipe from The Family Homestead eBook cookbook:
Easy cleanup with Handmade Kitchen Dishcloths
from Moomettes Crochet !
Easy Ham Casserole Recipe
Ham, Pasta, Dinner, Freezer Meals, Casserole, One Pot Meals
- 1 ham steak, cut into cubes
- 2 cans (16 oz.) stewed tomatoes (or 1 can stewed tomatoes, 1 can regular tomato sauce)
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and cut into cubes
- 2 - 3 tbl. cooking oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese, to taste
- 1 lb. cooked spaghetti pasta
- In a large sided frying pan, add oil, and saute cut up ham steak until golden brown.
- Add cut peppers and saute until tender.
- Add stewed tomatoes, (including the juice).
- Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions separately.
- Drain and add to ham mixture. You may not want to add all at once so as not to use up all the juice.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add parmesan cheese if desired.
- Serve with crusty garlic bread.
© Frugal New England Kitchen