It’s been mighty cold here in Connecticut this winter and we’ve certainly had our share of extreme snowfall! I’ve been giving my crockpot a good workout and treating my family to some delicious new meals, soups and chowders.
My daughters learned to enjoy homemade soup as my Yankee Grandmom would always make a big batch and send us home with some after a visit. This recipe for Hearty Hamburger Vegetable Barley Soup made in the slow cooker has turned into one of my family favorites.
Chock full of meat, mixed vegetables of green beans, carrots, corn, peas and lima beans – you can add barley or pasta to make it a hearty minestrone and add body.
Make up a batch of this yummy minestrone and take a container to your Mom, Grandmom, family friend or neighbor who’s a shut-in. Send the kids back to college with a savory soup that’s homemade!
While the soup is in the slow cooker, fire up the breadmaker with your favorite bread recipe! You’ll have a complete balanced meal with meat and vegetables.
Easy clean-up with my crochet handmade Dish Cloths from my Moomettes Crochet shop!
Try my favorite recipe for homemade Dill Bread
Hamburger Vegetable Barley Soup
Crockpot Hearty Hamburger Vegetable Barley Soup
Hamburg Soup, Beef Soup, Barley Soup, Stew, Crockpot, Slow Cooker, Freezer Meals
- 1 lb. Lean ground beef
- 2 c. frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 c. sliced celery
- 1 package (1 ounce) dry onion soup mix
- 1 package (1 ounce) Italian salad dressing mix
- ¼ tsp. Salt (or to taste)
- ¼ tsp. Black pepper (or to taste)
- 3 c. boiling water
- 1 can (about 14 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 Tbl. Soy sauce
- 2 c. Barley, cooked
- ¼ c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbl. Chopped fresh parsley
- Brown ground beef in large skillet 6 to 8 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring to break up the meat. Drain fat.
- Place vegetables in crockpot or slow cooker. Top with beef, soup mix, salad dressing mix, salt and pepper. Add water, tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce and soy sauce, mixing well. Cover, cook on LOW 6 to 8 hours.
- Stir in cooked Barley and Parmesan cheese. Cover; cook on HIGH 15 to 30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley just before serving.
- Freeze any leftovers
© Frugal New England Kitchen