The holidays are a special time of year, when everyone pulls out their favorite dessert recipes. One of my old tried and true standby recipe for entertaining is this Chocolate Cherry Fruitcake chocolate pound cake that starts with a box mix.
If you’re like me, I’m always looking for new recipes to add to my recipe collection.
Chocolate Pound Cake
Before you turn your nose up and say, “oh no, not another fruitcake” (recipe, not the author!) – this great chocolate cherry fruitcake dessert recipe is more of a pound cake with fruit in it.
Try making it with a Chocolate Pound Cake mix! Rich, dark chocolate – Who can’t resist anything with chocolate and cherries? I like to add Kirsch liqueur during Christmas and New Year’s, but you can use brandy or almond extract too. It’s a unique dessert recipe for a heavenly combination for your brunch or buffet table!
Chocolate Cherry Fruitcake
Holiday Favorite Chocolate Pound Cake
Chocolate, Fruitcake, Chocolate Pound Cake, Dessert, Holiday Cake
- 1 package Tastefully Simple Classy Chocolate Pound Cake Mix (or use any date nut or cherry quick bread mix)
- 1 c. coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 (10 oz) jar maraschino cherries, drained, cut in half
- 3/4 c. Mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. water
- 3/4 c. butter (1-1/2 sticks)
- 1/2 c. Kirsch liqueur (cherry flavored brandy) or (2 T almond extract plus 1/2 c. water)
- 1/4 c. Miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tsp oil
- Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour bottom of 8x4 or 9x5 loaf pan.
- In large bowl, mix according to package directions along with fruitcake ingredients. Stir by hand until mixture is moist.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bax at 350 for 65 to 80 min.for 8x4 pan, 60 to 70 min. for 9x5 pan or until toothpick is clean. Cool 15 min. Remove from pan.
- Cool completely. In small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate chips and oil, stirring until smooth.
- Drizzle over fruitcake. Allow glaze to set in refrigerator. Wrap well in plastic wrap or foil and store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks or freeze up to 3 months. For optimum flavor refrigerate at least 24 hrs before serving.
© Frugal New England Kitchen