At a recent gathering for retiring co-workers, these Chicken Satay Nibbler Bites were passed around. A meld of Asian and Mediterranean flavors, they’ll be sure to go fast when you entertain this 4th of July and all summer long!
Chicken Satay Bites
Asian Chicken Satay Nibbler Bites
Chicken, Asian, Kabobs, Appetizer
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 2 Tbl. soy sauce
- 2 Tbl. toasted sesame oil
- 3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes/chunks
- Bottled peanut dipping sauce
- 40 Bocconcini (small balls of mozzarella)
- 20 oil-packed sun-dried tomato halves, cut into strips
- 40 short bamboo skewers, or toothpicks
- Ground black pepper, to taste (optional)
- 1 Tbl. fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat the broiler. Place a rack in the center of the oven.
- In a large, deep oven-safe skillet, whisk together the broth, cumin, garlic powder, white pepper, ginger, paprika, soy sauce and sesame oil. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and stir to arrange them in an even layer in the broth mixture. The tops of the chicken pieces should just barely stick out of the liquid ~ this allows the chicken to brown.
- Place the skillet under the broiler.
- After 5 minutes, stir, then broil for another 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Pool or drizzle the peanut sauce on a serving platter.
- To assemble the skewers, top each piece of chicken strip of sun-dried tomato and 1 ball of mozzarella.
- Skewer each stack, then arrange them on a serving platter.
- Sprinkle the skewers with black pepper and chopped cilantro
© Frugal New England Kitchen
photo credit: avlxyz